Thursday, September 25, 2008

Eden has started learning the flute

It was a stroke of providence that Eden is now learning the flute. She really did not want to carry on playing the recorder, and yet I kept her place in recorder over the summer holidays in case she changed her mind. But at the end of summer she was still not interested in carrying on. When I spoke to the music school to cancel the lessons I mentioned that she wants to move onto flute now and finish with recorder, and thought I would need to put her name on a waiting list, but as it turns out the new recorder teacher teaches flute too, so moved her place across to flute. After checking that Eden has her adult top and bottom teeth (a requisite to playing flute) - which she does, we hired a flute from them and she started right away. Words cannot explain how happy Eden was after finishing her first lesson.
The first few lessons will just involve practicing the blowing technique, which is much like blowing downwards on a coke bottle to get the sound - not at all like recorder. Apparently this takes quite a long time to master - Eden already has it a lot better than mom.
Eden could already tell how to play "b" from learning the recorder.

No comments: