Friday, October 19, 2012

Cosy Friday

So it rained nearly all day today, and that made for a very cosy indoor Friday.  We often like to bake on Friday so there are nice treats for dad on the weekend, and there is nothing that spells the weekend is approaching more than the smell of lovely baked goods in the house.  As soon as I saw the below recipe on Oh she Glows I knew it would be a winner, and I wasn't wrong.  It is a healthy version of the sweet 'rolos', and I'm afraid you just have to try it.  The inside caramel is simply dates and peanut butter processed, and then dipped in a chocolate, coconut oil mix.  Eden never touches dates, but she loved these.

And they loved making them.  Eden and Niamh then made a lovely carrot cake for the weekend, and Niamh made pizza dough for dinner - homemade wholewheat pizza is our current Friday night thing.

And we had a lovely music book delivery today, I decided to get them some fun books to do, as well as the more serious technical classical stuff that they do with their teachers.
And since the weather has got colder I have not stopped eating these gorgeous salads, but I have started adding a lot of roasted vegetables to the mix, here I have roasted brussels(don't dis it till you've tried it), beetroot, red onion and red pepper, it was so very tasty I was sad when it was finished :(

Well often I come across stories that Eden writes(she writes a lot), or poems or annotated illustrations, and it is always a treat to read them as I get an insight into her that I wouldn't normally get, here below is chapter 1 of a book she wrote that I picked up last week:

It was a terrible feeling when I was revealed to the world.  In fact, it was the coldest feeling ever.  And to make matters worse, I was born in midwinter - the coldest part of the year.  It was lovely when I was in my mother's warm, watery, cosy, dark, but a little bit cramped belly.  It was cramped because there were two other bunnies with me.  That's right, I am a bunny.  Our breed was Jackrabbit.  Anyway, my other siblings were also a bit cramped but still really warm.  I think they felt the same way as me.  I was the last to come out - so I was the youngest, but only by two minutes or so.  When it was time to come out, I had a weird feeling.  It was a squeezy feeling, like someone giving you a great big bear hug, and you trying to squeeze away from him.  Soon, my body slid down a smallish hole.  Then maybe the most horrible feeling went over me.  Have you ever jumped in a really warm pool and then come out and felt dead cold?  Well, coming out of my mum - from a warm place to a freezing place would probably feel ten times colder than that.  My mother quickly snuggled me up to her warm body with the other siblings and we slept.  In the morning, I was the first one to wake up.  My body ached, and it was more colder than ever.  I looked around with weak eyes.  There was only blackness, but my eyes stung with just trying to open them.  My eyelids were weak with trying and I slowly shut them......

Which reminds me, we are now reading C.S Lewis' biography together, and so much of what he was like as a child reminds me of Eden.  The creating of fantasy worlds in writing and drawing for hours on end.

No comments: