Sunday, January 13, 2013

Crochet, costumes and cauliflower pizza

Niamh loves making things crafty, like sewing, knitting and cross stitch.  The thing is I am not very passionate or good at any of those things, but 10 years ago when I was pregnant with Niamh I did a lot of crochet, and picked it up really quickly.  I popped by our local wool shop and bought a few balls of wool and some crochet needles and we started that day.  We have done granny squares, and I have started hexagonals.  Eden enjoys it, but struggles to apply herself for a long time - she gets bored quickly, but she picked it up very quickly and has been adding to the granny squares too.  Our first project will be a little pram blanket made in pink, white and lilac.  I am extremely excited by this, one because it is so quick and you feel productive early on in the project and two, because there are so many AMAZING things to make - bags, hats, dresses, tops, blankets, rugs, throws....

A great thing to do in the afternoons, I can't say that is a good cold weather activity because the children play outdoors every afternoon.  Now just to find something to keep Jude's hands busy.
Niamh has had a cough for many weeks now, so I finally took her to the doctor(on Uncle James' prompting).  James also thought she needed an overall checkup because he thought she looks unwell in general.  Niamh is pale skinned, and really thin but sometimes as a parent you just get used to how they look and it takes someone from the outside to alert you to something. The doctor checked her over and she did have a mild chest infection so she has gone on antibiotics for the FIRST time in her life.  I voiced my concerns about Niamh and the doc weighed her and she has only put .5 kg on in 16 months so she said Niamh needs to be eating more than she usually does(she does have a good appetite anyway).  She said red meat would be a good addition to her diet and so we went and bought some biltong as Niamh doesn't like steak, and I have been making her fruit smoothies with fattening greek yoghurt and double cream.
I just love it when the younger older children read to the little ones.
Our house is WARM in the winter, so much so that these little munchkins can pretend they are on the beach in their swimming costumes.
I have been following a low carb, high fat diet.  Which means lots of avocado, coconut oil, oily fish, nuts, eggs and vegetables, oh and the occasional snack of biltong.  By far the best thing of this diet is I have no craving whatsoever for sugar, chocolate or constant snacking.  I loved this recipe alongside my fish - cauliflower pizza.
And this coffee is an everyday treat, it is made with coconut whipped cream, follow this link for the recipe, it is the best coffee I have tasted in my life, it has to be tasted to be believed:
Whipped coconut cream

No comments: