Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Cashew nut brittle (a healthy version)

This week I had a sudden desire for nut brittle. Of course the ones I remember as a kid are loaded with sugar, so I hunted down for a recipe that uses honey. It didn't take long to find one, except that this recipe requires a sweet thermometer. Goodness knows I should own one of these, but I don't, so I ordered a quick one off ebay, and we set about making the brittle today. In the recipe it states that it should boil for 10-12 minutes, but I was using a large pot and the temperature was very high, so it turned dark brown quite quickly, perhaps after 6 minutes. It did cook more than it should've and this gave it a more caramel flavour, so next time I will definitely boil at a much lower temperature, and take it off before it goes beyond golden brown. This however fortunately did not deter any of us from eating it as it still tasted really good.
CASHEW BRITTLE
3/4 c. honey
1/4 c. water
1 c. raw cashews
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
Boil the honey and water until mixture reaches soft ball stage (234 degrees) on a candy thermometer. Add nuts and stirring constantly, boil until mixture turns golden (10 to 12 minutes). Remove pan from heat. Add vanilla, butter and baking soda. Mix well. Pour brittle on a buttered baking sheet. When cool, break into pieces.


1 comment:

Norma Farmer said...

That looks good Fi, think I will make some for Christmas when Georgie and the kids come. Bet the kids love it too.

love you lots.xx