Friday, March 25, 2011

Mad cat, and healthy treats!

Our cats certainly get us sniggering at times, none of us could believe how Tessa was sleeping when we found her like this, and yes she was in deep sleep.
Eden has made a few laughable mistakes when it comes to bread making, once forgetting the water, and another time forgetting the yeast, but this one was one of her better ones, she only made the bread with wholemeal flour, we normally use a 60/40 combo of wholewheat to white, but everyone loved this version a lot more, it came out smelling really good too.
Eden has been at the face paints again, I loved this batman one that she did on Niamh.
One of the treats the children are sure to get once they have finished their parkrun on a Saturday is waffles - it is such a nice reward for them. This week I made it completely with wholemeal flour and spelt and sweetened with agave, so this is a 100% healthy waffle, and they were all scoffed up just the same.

So the next thing I wondered is if I would be able to get hold of healthy chocolate spread, and amazingly I came across it in a health shop today, so there you have it, chocolate spread sweetened with agave too. And on to my next great find, this is date syrup, which is a syrup made completely from dates, and it tastes wonderful. It is a very healthy alternative to sugar in baking, and as I searched for recipes that use date syrup, I came across another discovery....I come across quite a few interesting blogs in my pursuit for new recipes, some I save and check up on regularly, but when I came across this particular one:
Anja's food 4 thought
I got really excited. This lady is exactly where I am at with my food thinking, and her recipes are fantastic and healthy, and so many healthy baked goods recipes which I know my children would love, like this chocolate biscuit one below, check it out under cookies on her website, cocoa date oatmeal cookies.


No comments: