Saturday, February 6, 2010

Our beautiful new daughter has arrived!

I had contractions throughout the Friday night and Saturday morning, but managed to sleep in between them, so felt quite rested by the time I got up at 6. I told Michael that I had contractions throughout the night, and when I got up I could feel they were getting more painful. We woke the children at 7 and Mike took Jude and Ciara over to Grant and Linda's even before they had breakfast. Eden and Niamh wanted to stay and be a part of the birth.
Michael prepared everything for the homebirth, these are protection sheets for the carpet and bed.
Boy and girl outfit layed out on the heater.
After 3 further hours of hard labour our little girl was delivered at home on our own - what a surprise, we were both convinced we had a little boy on the way!! Welcome Ayla Eve!!
We have never had a baby born with so much vernix. Eden and Niamh came into the room at this time, just in time to see her just born - I could see straightaway that they were filled with such bewonderment and love
She gave a small cry straightaway, and turned from grey to pink very quickly. Almost instantly she started looking around for something to suck.
After a nice feed, the placenta came out - Mike cut the cord and she stayed on me for a while longer.
We then thought we would weigh her and dress her, she weighed 7lb11 or 3.50kg, she seems tiny to us with very delicate girly features.
Daddy having a cuddle.
I love this, she looks like she is struggling to open her eyes to see what is going on.

I don't really want to be put down please.
Getting dressed for the first time.
Snuggly and warm now.
Elated big sister.
I think this perfectly captures how thrilled Niamh is, they are doting on her already.
Mommy looking happy - everything went so well!

Having a first good look at mommy, about 1 hour old.
Mommy taking in her new precious little girl.

6 comments:

Norma Farmer said...

Hi Ayla Eve,

What a beaufiul little girl you are, so sweet and we will all love you. Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Lots and lots of love from nana and uncle Peter. PS WELCOME

jim russell said...

Dearest Fiona & Mike
Well done.I love the the way the girls look so happy with their new sister.Jude I know wanted a brother,but you both have been so good at girls.Look forward to seeing Ciara playing second fiddle to her new sister Ayla.
God bless.Love Dad & Granddad.
XXXXX
More photos please

Linda Russell said...

Wow what beautiful photos! Thank you so much for posting so soon. Ayla is beautiful and the big sisters must be thrilled! Praise the Lord for the miracle of life.

Buckland said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Carole said...

Well done both of you.
The photographs are really gorgeous. Thankyou for letting us see her so soon.


xxx

Caroline Gill said...

Well done Fiona, you are truly a brave woman!!! May Ayla bring even more happiness to your wonderful home, and be a treasure to all her siblings. Thanks for sharing such a special time with everyone - we really appreciate how you open up and let us into your world. You are a great example as a mom and homeschooler -keep up the good work. Lots of love - Caroline