Sunday, April 24, 2011

Back to blogging...

....after a long break. A few weeks ago we seemed to have got a very aggressive virus on our laptop which caused it to crash in a few hours. Several of our sectors were corrupted including our photos sector. What a horrible thought that we may lose photos. I do backups but hadn't done one for a long time so lots of photos were in jeopardy. Michael spent quite a lot of time that night trying to save the photos and copying them across to our external hard drive, and he actually managed to save them all phew, as well as Eden's stories. I was a bit upset about losing the last few years of my homeschooling folders.
A few days later Michael took our laptop in to his pc guy at work who completely wiped everything, so that night I got a very clean, bland laptop back, but two weeks later he took the laptop back and managed to restore everything, photos, documents and all my homeschool folder aswell as all thing like my itunes library, another big shew. A few weeks later I noticed £300 disappearing out of our paypal account, of course this must've been linked to the virus, I made a fraud enquiry straight away and we got a quick refund of the £300. A few days later I got a call from "Microsoft" claiming that my pc had downloaded a very critical virus, and wanted me to access files on the laptop, when I starting questioning them they put the phone down. A few weeks later we received another call from a so called pc company who wanted me to do the same thing, fortunately Mike was home this time and I just handed the phone to him, he gave them a piece of his mind so hopefully we won't hear anymore from them. It is amazing to think how much information we submit on websites, and of course all our banking is done online too, as well as purchases which involve debit card transactions. Obviously downloading fraud software will put all this information we submit in at risk of abuse, and now we have seen it first hand. I am just grateful for all the fraud protection offered by our banks and by paypal, we are really hoping that this is the end of all the fraud.

No comments: