Saturday, June 20, 2009

Holiday to Spain - Day 4 and 5

Penny recommended that we take a drive to Tarifa, which is one and a half hours drive from our Finca. It is the coast in Spain where the Atlantic and Meditteranean meet, and is well known for its golden sands and windsurfing. I got incredibly car sick on the way as the road is extremely winding, so could not really take in the view very well. (I don't think listening to Robinson Crusoe(the audio book we were listening to) at sea, with all the sounds of a storm at sea and him getting sick helped either).
The view along the way, it reminded me of the landscape in South Africa in many ways.
When we got there the children were soooo excited to get on the beach(finally), but what we did not expect was the extremely windy conditions on the beach. No sooner had the children gone running towards the sea, than they came running back again with legs stinging. I felt so terrible for them, it was such a let down that they could not stay on the beach. Look at Eden's hair, how it is blowing. No wonder this was a great spot for windsurfers.
We decided to take lunch at a cafe in the town.
It was a great experience to be around the locals whilst eating, many of them took a great deal of interest in the children.

Eden and Niamh ordered lovely fresh calamari, it was the first time they had seen it served this way though, it was the whole squid served with head tentacles and all, cut into slices. At least they now knew where calamari rings actually come from, and they really enjoyed it. Michael and I shared a seafood platter which was a big selection of many types of fish that I had never even seen, I ordered croquettes for Jude, but we weren't even sure what it was when they brought it to the table, and it tasted sooo fishy that not even I could stomach it.
We drove back towards home after lunch, and decided to stop off at a beach close to home. I am so glad we did, because there was no wind on this beach and it was a lovely beach too. You can imagine how pleased the children were to finally get a swim in the sea.
This tent was a hassle to bring with, but we are so glad we did. Ciara spent a lot of time in it and it was such a good shelter from the very hot sun.
We returned to our yurt later that day(probably around 6 - our whole time was thrown off as it gets dark one hour later than in the UK, so about 10:30pm). This is the inside, and now feeling quite lived in.
The following day we spent the morning by the river while Ciara slept.
And went back to the lovely beach in the afternoon(about 20 minutes from our yurt).
Ciara and daddy having fun in the tent.
The Meditteranean is not as warm as the North and South Coast in South Africa, but it is much warmer than the UK sea. Mike and I stayed in for a long time, it was very calm so it was easy to swim up and down without getting bashed by waves, and lots of schools of fish came swimming past.

2 comments:

Linda Russell said...

Lovely to see the photos!!

Anonymous said...

Yes they are so lovely, the shellfish looks sooooooo good.
Your yurt looks so coomfy.
I just love the pic of Ciara in the tent, nice hairstyle Kiki doo.

Lovely,
lots and lots of love,
Mom.