Thursday, August 12, 2010

Niamh runs her first 5km

We went off to our Bedfont Park run, the first one since we have been back from holiday. The children have not done much in the way of training at all so I was not expecting them to run more than a 2km lap. Off we go!!
Niamh pushed to try and keep up with me(after just having a full bowl of breakfast), I could see she was getting a stitch so I told her to drop back and join Eden or walk a bit. She got really stubborn about it and refused to slow down, by the time we reached the 2km mark she was heaving, I turned around and told her again to stop, and I saw her slow down. I then told Mike to make her stop when she came past him. So imagine my surprise when I finished the race, had a chat to James and turned around to see Niamh sprinting her heart out to finish the race. She was finishing with the lady below and I am sure she was trying to outsprint her.
After Niamh had slowed down, this lady ran alongside her encouraging her and chatting to her.
When I saw Niamh finish this race, I couldn't help but think of the time when Niamh was 2 and we were on holiday with Grandad Jim on the North Coast. She got it in her head to run, and run she did, I think she gave Grandad quite a job keeping up with her as she ran and ran and ran down the beach on one of their walks. Well done for finishing in 30:44 Niamh!
Eden finished the 5km's too, and was surprised to see that Niamh had beaten her and by 4 minutes too.

1 comment:

Norma Farmer said...

Well done Niamh, you will go on to do greater things I'm sure.

So proud of you.

lots and lots of love from your Nana.