Wednesday, July 6, 2011

God's way, not ours - exposition of Isaiah 1:1-18

We are reading this book for our ladies reading book at church, and I am finding it as thought provoking as I did when I first read it 13 or so years ago. I do love how Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones writes, so easy to read, and yet very profound.
Excerpt from the chapter 5 - The Desolation of sin
So many think that Christianity is merely something that pats us on the back saying, "Don't be troubled and worried, everything will soon be all right." But that is not Christianity: that is the cults, that is psychology. The Bible is a book that probes us and examines us, that puts the searchlight of the eye of God upon us and reveals us to oursevles as we are. We begin to squeal; we begin to shout; we begin to ask it to let us go. But this searchlight will not let us go. It goes on with its terrifying and terrible examination until we have really seen our condition, and the disease has been exposed. Then, and only then, does it apply the remedy.

No comments: