Friday, August 12, 2011

Wild blackberry picking!

The time has arrived for blackberry picking, and we headed a bit farther afield than we normally do, but I remember seeing these blackberry bracken on one of our walks a few years ago, and they were certainly abundant with lovely berries.
The kids just love being out in the open, running, and exploring, and playing with big sticks(what is it about children and sticks?).

More sticks!

Niamh's friend Simone joined us too, notice more sticks(well branches).
It was funny that an English friend on facebook said that blackberry picking comes at a cost. I have never hurt myself picking blackberries before, but upon trying to get some lovely blackberries that no one else had managed to reach, I lost my footing, and trying to avoid falling on Simone, I pushed myself over and ended up falling onto a mound of earth which stretched my foot quite badly. I ended up with a lot of bad scratches, and was surprised to not have a sprained ankle, but later that evening my foot cramped up in the most painful way for no less than 2 hours, I was literally crying it was so sore.
The children enjoyed(the most expensive) ice creams after the expedition.
Even Ayla is given her own cone now.
The damage.
Ouch.
The reward however was delicious apple and blackberry crumble.

No comments: